Resources about better, more effective, happier workplaces, companies, societies. Doing the right thing and doing things right in the context of organizations and the society in large.
Some keywords: values, rightshifting, non-violent communication, quality, human-centric, lean.
Edwards Deming is the father of a “new management” (post-taylorian), of the Japanese post-war success, of lean thinking, of more human workplaces.
F.ex. this overview of The 14 For The Transformation Of Management and Theory of Profound Knowledge .
Consequently, we should focus on keeping ourselves and our customers happy, not focus on making money. Good reputation and profit is simply a side effect of keeping ourselves and our customers happy. - What is Crisp?, Crisp’s Blog
- What is Crisp?, Crisp’s Blog 5/2010 - this cooperative/company has created two A3: “What is Crisp? - defines their purpose” and “Crisp strategy - defines how the company works and why”. Great idea, great content.
- Crisp consensus model 2.1 - Crisp, an IT consultancy, is owned by its members, has no CEO, and decides using consensus (how many people are involved depends on the size and effect of the decision - 1, team, a special group, all)
- The Morning Star Co. in California has used self-management for decades to become one of the leading tomato producers in the US
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders (website) - a wonderful story of turning the worst submarine in the navy into the best one by turning everybody into a leader - and thus tapping into all their resources, passion, initiative. Giving people purpose and control over their own work is crucial for effectiveness, especially in a chaotic enironment. Some advices: Focus on excellence, not avoiding mistakes. Empowering others is disempowering - allow them do the job. You perhaps can start to change culture by faking it at first (e.g. behaving as a proud sailor). Responsibility requires competence - on our job, we are learning every day. Some highlights: “Lack of certainty is a strength. Certainty is arrogance.” “Efforts to monitor the process make the organization less efficient while efforts to improve it make it more efficient.” “The best way not to make a mistake is not to do anything or make any decisions.”
- Holocracy in a large company: Inside Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh’s radical management experiment that prompted 14% of employees to quit (5/2015)
Frederic Laloux: Reinventing Organizations (Recommended to everybody at Zappos before deciding whether they wanted to remain in a self-managed system; about Laloux: “..so many of the problems he addressed at companies were due to managers who stifled progress. [..] Laloux concluded that self-management was just one element of a new type of organization that represented the direction humanity was heading in — away from absolute leaders and toward empowered individuals.“)
Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh (Mar 19, 2013) [Zappos CEO]